ORDERS OF THE DAY
for the meeting of the Senate to be held at 3.30 p.m. on Monday, the 27th October, 2014.
1. Recitation from the Holy Quran.
AMENDMENTS TO THE SENATE RULES
(Under Rule 269)
SENATE FORUM FOR POLICY RESEARCH (SFPR)
(1) that in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012, the existing rules 269 and 270 may be renumbered as rules 277 and 278 respectively;
(2) that after rule 268 the following new rules be inserted, namely:-
269. Senate Forum for Policy Research.- There shall be a Forum known as the “Senate Forum for Policy Research”.
270. Composition of the Forum.- (1) The Forum shall consist of sixteen Members, eight sitting Members of the Senate and eight former Members of the Senate as nominated by the Chairman in consultation with the Parliamentary Leaders in the House.
(2) The Chairman of the Senate shall be the Patron of the Forum.
(3) The Chairman of the Forum shall be elected from amongst its members in its first meeting after its establishment or reconstitution.
(4) The Secretary of the Senate shall be the ex-officio Secretary of the Forum and will be responsible for maintaining the record of the Forum and to correspond on its behalf.
271. Tenure of the Members.- (1) The tenure of the Members shall be for a period of three years.
(2) The Chairman shall nominate members of the Forum within thirty days of the commencement of the term of the newly elected members under clause (3) of Article 59 of the Constitution.
272. Casual vacancies.- A member may resign at any time. If a seat becomes vacant due to resignation of a member or any other eventuality, the Chairman shall appoint another member of the Forum in his place, in the manner provided in Rule 270 (1).
273. Functions of the Forum.- The functions of the Forum shall be the following:-
(a) It shall assist and advise, as and when required, the Senate, the Chairman, the Committees, the Members and the Secretariat of the Senate;
(b) It shall study questions of public importance that are already under consideration or likely to come up before the Senate and recommend policy options/solutions;
(c) It shall act as an ideas generation and support forum for the members of Senate in discharge of their functions;
(d) It shall promote partnerships amongst sitting and former members of the Senate. Besides Workshops, Seminars etc, it shall organize an Annual General Meeting of former and sitting Senators;
(e) It shall suggest ways and means to enhance the efficiency, working and effectiveness of the Committees of the Senate;
(f) It shall compile and disseminate knowledge generated by Senate proceedings, committee reports and proceedings at international and regional Parliamentary meetings;
(g) It shall provide input on policy issues;
(h) It shall prepare a statute Book of Pakistan to be kept under the custody of the Chairman of the Senate which he shall; hand over to the next Chairman at the time of laying down his office;
(i) It shall keep the compendium of Pakistan Laws up to date, year-wise and subject-wise;
(j) It shall compile the best speeches of the Members of the Senate made by them from time to time;
(k) It shall compile / supervise a book on Parliamentary Practices and procedure with special reference to Parliament of Pakistan;
(l) It shall compile / supervise a book containing the Rulings of the Chairmen given by them from time to time;
(m) It shall suggest ways and means to promote democratic traditions and principles;
(n) It shall suggest to the Senate, ways to coordinate the activities between National Assembly and the Senate particularly with reference to Private Members’ Bills, recommendations made by the Senate to the National Assembly in respect of the Finance Bill and matters related to the Special Committees/Joint Committees, IPU and CPA;
(o) It shall advise and assist the legislative drafting unit and research cell of the Senate and the PIPS; and
(p) It shall, in consultation with the Chairman Senate, advise the donor agencies regarding Parliamentary Development Programs.
274. Meetings of the Forum.- (1) The Chairman of the Forum shall call the meeting of the Forum, at least once in two months or when a majority of the members give a notice in writing.
(2) The agenda of the meeting shall be proposed by the Secretary, under the directions of the Chairman of the Forum and shall be sent to the members at least seven days before the meeting.
(3) All the decisions of Forum shall be taken by majority of the members present.
(4) All the proceedings of the Forum shall be recorded by the Secretary in the minutes book and shall be signed by the Chairman of the Forum.
(5) The Chairman may call an extraordinary meeting at a shorter notice if so required.
275. Reports of the Forum.- (1) The Forum shall present the annual report of its activities to the Senate in the first session after a financial year.
(2) It may submit its report on any subject as deemed necessary.
(3) The report shall be presented by the Chairman of the Forum or a member authorized by him in this behalf.
(4) The Senate may discuss the report of the Forum and pass such directions as it may deem fit.
(5) The Forum shall publish a quarterly journal or magazine and other print, electronic or web based material to disseminate its work to stakeholders and general public.
276. Miscellaneous.- (1) The expenses for running the Forum shall be provided by the Senate.
(2) It shall have the status of Standing Committee of the Senate and shall be regulated by the Rules of Procedure of the Senate.
(3) A former member of the Senate appointed to the Forum shall be allowed the TA, DA and accommodation expenses available to a sitting member while attending meetings or performing functions related to or in connection with the Forum.
(If leave is granted)
3. RAJA MUHAMMAD ZAFAR-UL-HAQ, MIAN RAZA RABBANI AND MR. MUSHAHID HUSSAIN SYED to move, that the proposed amendments in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012, regarding renumbering of the existing rules 269 and 270 as rules 277 and 278 respectively and insertion of new rules 269 to 276 be taken into consideration.
4. RAJA MUHAMMAD ZAFAR-UL-HAQ, MIAN RAZA RABBANI AND MR. MUSHAHID HUSSAIN SYED to move that the proposed amendments in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012, regarding renumbering of the existing rules 269 and 270 as rules 277 and 278 respectively and insertion of new rules 269 to 276 be adopted.
5. COL. (R) SYED TAHIR HUSSAIN MASHHADI to move the following resolution:-
“This House recommends that the Government may fix consultation fee of private doctors in ICT.”.
6. MR. MUHAMMAD TALHA MEHMOOD to move the following resolution:-
“The House recommends that the Government should take effective steps to control inflation in the country.”.
7. HAFIZ HAMDULLAH to move the following resolution:-
“This House recommends that the Government may take effective steps to promote Islamic Banking System in the country.”.
8. MR. FARHATULLAH BABAR to move the following resolution:-
“This House recommends that the Government may take appropriate steps to amend Article 247 of the Constitution suitably so as to enable the Parliament to enact legislation for FATA and also extend the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court and the High Court to those areas in order to protect and promote fundamental rights and integration of the tribal people in the national mainstream.”.
9. MR. MUHAMMAD TALHA MEHMOOD to move the following resolution:-
“This House recommends that the Government should take effective steps for poverty alleviation in the country.”.
10. Further discussion on the following motion moved by Mr. Abdul Haseeb Khan on 10th March, 2014:-
“This House may discuss the overall condition of Health sector after devolution of the subject of Health to provinces in pursuance of 18th Amendment in the Constitution.”.
11. Discussion on the following motion moved by Mr. Farhatullah Babar on 20th October, 2014:-
“This House may discuss the overall performance of the Higher Education Commission (HEC).”.
12. MR. MUHAMMAD MOHSIN KHAN LEGHARI to move that the House may discuss the policy of the Government regarding fixing of tariffs of upcoming power projects.
13. NAWABZADA SAIFULLAH MAGSI to move that the House may discuss the recommendations made by the Civil Services Reforms Committee constituted by the Prime Minister particularly those pertaining to promotions in the civil bureaucracy on the pattern of Pak Army.
14. MR. ABDUL NABI BANGASH to move that this House may discuss the overall performance of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources with particular reference to the provision of gas to Thall and other surrounding areas of District Hangu in pursuance of Prime Minister's directive.
15. COL. (R) SYED TAHIR HUSSAIN MASHHADI to move that the House may discuss the situation arising out of allotment of plots to C.D.A. employees on green belts in Islamabad.
16. MR. MUHAMMAD TALHA MEHMOOD to move that the House may
discuss the overall performance of C.D.A. with particular reference to removal
of encroachments in commercial and residential areas in
“regarding killing of two persons belonging to Sikh Community in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa”.
24th October, 2014.