The Legislative Drafting Unit (LDU) was established to facilitate the Members in drafting the private member Bills. It was established in Senate in year 2017. The fundamental function of the legislature is to make, amend and repeal laws. It makes new laws to meet the changing needs of society. It also amends old laws that are not compatible with the new conditions while the laws that have become obsolete in character are repealed. In Pakistan, Subject to the Constitution, Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament)] may make laws (including laws having extra-territorial operation) for the whole or any part of Pakistan, and a Provincial Assembly may make laws for the province or any part thereof. A Bill with respect to any matter in the Federal Legislative List may originate in either House. Bills are of two types i.e. government bills and private member’s bills. Government bills are introduced by the minister concerned and the private members bill is the prerogative of the member. First stage of bill before its introduction is to be drafted in accordance with the legislative drafting techniques. In this regard, in senate of Pakistan It has been provided in Rule 94 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012 that: “the Senate Secretariat shall render possible assistance to the Member so that Bill is not rejected on technical grounds”. These functions are performed by the legislature i.e. member to desire the proper drafting support from the Secretariat.
The Legislative Drafting Unit (LDU) performs multi-dimensional functions which are as under: -
• LDU designs, facilitates and follows up the legislative instruments.
• The main function of the unit is to translate the ideas of the Senators into legislative proposal by drafting new laws or by suggesting appropriate amendments in the laws on the statute book.
• The Unit also examines whether the will of legislature has been implemented by the executive authorities through the delegated legislation within the parameters laid down in the statutes as provided in Rule-172-C and 172-D, of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business, 2012 and support all other Senate Standing/ Functional / Special Committees in general legislative issues.
• The Unit assists and provides support services, even, during the deliberations at the Committee stage of the legislative process
• LDU is also available for drafting the motions, questions, calling attention notices and resolutions as per member’s desire.