SENATOR DR. A. REHMAN MALIK
M.Sc/ Ph.d. (Hon.)
Sitara-i-Shujaat (Gallantry), Nishan-i-Imtiaz
Former Federal Minister/ Advisor for Interior for Narcotics Control
Ex-Chairman, SAARC Home/Interior Ministers,
Expert in Security Affairs
President PPP Overseas & International Affairs
• Chairman Senate Standing Committee on Planning, Development & Reforms
• Member Senate Standing Committee on Interior & Narcotics
• Member Senate Standing Committee on Information Technology
• Member Senate Standing Committee on States and Frontier Regions (SAFRON)
• Senior Member Central Executive Committee of Pakistan People’s Party (PPP)
• Former Member of Nuclear Command Authority, Pakistan.
• Former Member of Defence Coordination Committee (DCC), Pakistan.
• Convener Opposition's Political Reconciliation Committee (Jirga / Commission) of Pakistan.
• Former Chairman Committee / Commission of Reconciliation and Development Package for Baluchistan.
• Former Chairman Committee / Commission for Madrissah Reforms, Interfaith /Religious Harmony of Pakistan.
• Acted as coordinator for successful reconciliation/Transition to democracy dialogue between the then ruling party/Gen Pervez Musharraf and Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto former PM of Pakistan
• Ph.d. (Honorary), University of Karachi - 2012.
• M.Sc. (Statistics), With Distinction, University of Karachi – 1973.
• Fellowship - International Migration, University of Philippines.
• Served as the longest serving Federal Minister for Interior in the history of Pakistan. As Minister for Interior, supervised Interior Division and Narcotics Control Division, including:
-Pakistan Rangers, Punjab
-Frontier Corps, Balochistan.
-Anti-Narcotics Force. (ANF)
-National Police Academy.
-National Police Foundation.
-National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA).
-National Counter Terrorism Authority (NACTA)
-Directorate General of Civil Defence
-National Response Centre for Cyber Crimes (NRC)
-Pakistan Rangers, Sindh.
-Northern Light Infantry, Gilgit-Baltistan.
-Pakistan Coast Guard.
-Islamabad Capital Territory Police.
-National Alien’s Registration Authority (NARA).
-National Forensic Science Agency (NFSA)
-National Police Bureau (NPB)
-Pakistan Immigration Control -Frontier Corps, KPK
-Federal Investigation Agency (FIA)
- FIA Academy of Pakistan
- Islamabad Capital Territory Administration.
-Directorate General of Immigration & Passports.
-National Academy for Prisons Administration.
-National Crisis Management Cell (NCMC)
• Chairman SAARC
• Member of the NCA concerned with Civil and Public Affairs
CONTRIBUTIONS AS INTERIOR MINISTER:
• As Federal Minister for Interior, being at Forefront on War-on-Terror; which is matter of public record, strategized successful campaign / operations to counter terrorism and facilitated remarkable results in thwarting terrorist networks,.
• Recipient of Sitara-i-Shujaat for his brave performances in FIA.
• Recipient of highest civil award, Nishan-e-Imtiaz medal from the President of Pakistan - 2012.
• Leader of Pak delegation to SAARC for five consecutive Annual Sessions.
• Leader of Pak delegation to India on bilateral issues.
• Also functioned as Special Envoy of the President of Pakistan, to Iran, Saudi Arabia and Middle East, met various head of states and distinguished leaders, for conveying messages from President of Pakistan to strengthen cooperation and bonds of friendly relations. Played an active role in countering terrorism in Middle East and Iran.
• Key Note speaker for Interpol General Assembly Annual Sessions held at Singapore.
• Observer for The Election of Secretary General of ICPO/Interpol.
• Leader of Pak delegation on Security, to USA, UK, Italy, and Singapore
• Keynote Speaker at International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), UK.
• Keynote Speaker PAF Command and Staff College, Karachi.
• Keynote Speaker at International Conference on Inter-Faith Harmony, Islamabad.
• Keynote Speaker in National Defence University (NDU) Pakistan on subjects of Terrorism and national Security.
Civil Service Career:
• FEDERAL INVESTIGATION AGENCY (FIA), PAKISTAN - 1996.
- Addl. Director General (FIA, HQs, Islamabad)
- Director (Immigration & Anti-Smuggling)
- Director (Crimes, FIA Peshawar Region)
- Director (FIA Headquarters, Islamabad)
• EMIGRATIONBUREAU, ISLAMABAD – 1988.
- Director (Operations) &Director (Co-Ordination/Administration)
• NATIONAL CENTRE BUREAU, FIA / INTERPOL, PAKISTAN - 1987.
- Deputy Director, (Crime) & In-charge of NCB/Interpol.
• DEPUTY DIRECTOR, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, AND PROTECTOR OF EMIGRANTS, BUREAU OF EMIGRATION - 1975-1986
• JUNIOR LECTURER, Department of Statistics, University of Karachi. - 1974
• Academic Research in Economics / Statistics / Experimental designs.
• Authored numerous publications and research papers, covering security, immigration and money laundering subjects. Many investigation reports published in different international print media. Remained Editor-in-Chief, Statistical Society Magazine.
• His investigative work led to the arrest of Yousaf Ramzi in 1996- the master mind of the first explosion in Twin Towers, in New York USA. His contributions in the field of anti-terrorism were significantly highlighted in a book titled “The New Jackals” written by a renowned British Journalist Mr. Simon Reeve. His services were commended in various international journals of repute and the media.
• Authored number of publications and research papers on multiple topics including security emigration and money laundering. Numbers of investigation report are so far published in international magazines and newspapers.
• Research on Media Management.
• Research on Cye War.
• A post 9/11 Hollywood film based on his extraordinary role in the field of terrorism.
• Fellowship in the field of “International Migration” from University of Phillipines in 1998.
CONFERENCES / SEMINARS / TRAININGS ATTENDED AS CIVIL SERVANT:
• Training Workshop on DEVELOPMENT PLANNING AND POLICIES IN PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SECTOR organized by UNO in Thailand – 1984.
• Represented Pakistan in SAARC Meeting of Experts on the implementation of the “SAARC Regional Convention on Suppression of Terrorism”, Colombo, Sri Lanka – 1990.
• ‘Administrative System’ training course – Spain 1992.
• 5th Session of the Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice, Vienna – 1996 as Deputy Leader of the Pak delegation.
• Conference of International Counter-Terrorism, Baguio, Philippines – 1996 as leader of Pak delegation.
• Bilateral Discussion on Criminal Justice, Extradition and Terrorism (Philippines, Malaysia, and Singapore) – 1996, represented Pakistan.
Achievements in Civil Service:
• As Director, Immigration Wing, FIA, enforced Zero-Tolerance policy to prevent illegal emigration from Pakistan.
• As Director of Peshawar Region, FIA, conducted successful operation against criminal syndicate running counterfeit foreign currency and Super Bonds / dollar racket.
• Was recipient of Sitarta-e-Sujaat (Gallantry) by The President of Pakistan in 1995.
• Coordinated and cooperated with international law enforcement organizations for successful arrest of high-profile criminals including drug barons, money launderers and offenders of various other heinous trans-border crimes.
• Contributions in anti-terrorism effort were duly highlighted in his book “The New Jackals” authored by British journalist Mr. Simon Reeve.
• As Lead Investigator in prominent money laundering cases, was commendably reflected in the popular BBC documentary “Pakistan to Park Lane via Ilford”.
• Head of Commission of Investigation into Hijack of Singapore Airline (Flight 117) - 1991
• Member Inquiry team, Crash of C-130 Aircraft, carrying former President of Pakistan (1988)
• Elected as President, Science Tutorial Group, Murray College, Sialkot.
• Elected as General Secretary, Statistical Society, University of Karachi.
PEN PICTURE OF PROFILE
* Started career in 1973 as a Civil Servant working in various capacities in Bureau of Immigration Government of Pakistan
* Remained Incharge of FIA/Interpol and Deputy Director (FIA) in 1987 dealing with white color crime worldwide.
* Remained Deputy Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Government of Pakistan along with Chairmanship Security key points of Pakistan for one year in 1989.
* Remained Director FIA Headquarters – Principal Staff Officer FIA
* Remained Director Crimes FIA HQ in coordination with Prime Minister Office dealing with inquiries/criminals cases under Official Secret Acts, Drugs and Narcotics etc.
* Remained Director/Head FIA KPK then NWFP/FATA/Northren Areas for a period of one year.
* Under went NIPA Course and acted as Chairman of group.
* Director Immigration and Anti-smuggling FIA HQ Islamabad 1993-95.
* Remained Additional Director/Director General FIA HQ 1995-96.
* Represented Pakistan at a number of International State Forums on Conferences Seminars and Dialogues.
* Chairman Senate Standing Committee on Planning, Development & Reforms
* Member Senate Standing Committee on Interior & Narcotics
* Member Senate Standing Committee on Information Technology
* Member Senate Standing Committee on States and Frontier Regions (SAFRON)
* Senior Member Central Executive Committee of Pakistan People’s Party (PPP)
* Former Member of Nuclear Command Authority, Pakistan.
* Former Member of Defence Coordination Committee (DCC), Pakistan.
* Convener Opposition's Political Reconciliation Committee (Jirga / Commission) of Pakistan.
* Former Chairman Committee / Commission of Reconciliation and Development Package for Baluchistan.
* Former Chairman Committee / Commission for Madrissah Reforms, Interfaith /Religious Harmony of Pakistan.
* Acted as coordinator for successful reconciliation/Transition to democracy dialogue between the then ruling party/Gen Pervez Musharraf and Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto former PM of Pakistan